BOILING SPRINGS ARE BEAUTIFUL
This article appeared in the Tampa Morning Tribune on July 15, 1897.
They Are the Admiration of All Visitors—The Largest Sulphur Springs In the State—Beautiful and Progressive Hotel.
Tarpon Springs is one of the prettiest, most prosperous and up-to-date little cities on the West Coast. It is situated on the Sanford and St. Petersburg division of the Plant System and Anclote river, about twenty-eight miles northwest of Tampa. It is also within two or three miles of the Gulf coast, being about that distance from Sponge Harbor, noted all over the country for its fine sponge fisheries. The finest sheep-wool and grass sponge in the world are taken off Sponge Harbor, and Tarpon Springs is rapidly developing into the leading sponge market of the state. This honor, up to a few years ago belonged to Key West, but owing to the great distance to that port, and to the enterprise and activity of the leading citizens of Tarpon Springs this large and profitable industry is rapidly going to this point